Due the extra space, clients are building mezzanines / decking for additional storage use.
The following is legal under the following rules:
- If a mezzanine is <5sqm in area, no Authority submission is required as per URA guidelines. We will be able to do a PE endorsement design check and drawing for the mezzanine.
- If a mezzanine is > 5sqm, It has to get clearance from JTC if it’s a JTC property lease, SCDF for fire safety (Fire Code 2018) and BCA for structural stability. Also URA has to be cleared to satisfy the plot ratio of the development.
- A means of escape from the mezzanine level has to be developed via a 1m width staircase. <60sqm requires 1 staircase and for every additional 60sqm, an additional staircase is required.
- If the building is fire sprinklered, it is compulsory for fire sprinklers to be installed below the mezzanine.
- The mezzanine must have an area of 50% perforated flooring
- The mezzanine must only be used for storage, office space is not allowed.
We help our clients to design and construct new mezzanine, or even regularize due to JTC, SCDF or BCA audits for industrial and commercial property.